Tuesday, August 11, 2009

August Time

I can't believe it's August. It has been a hot couple of days! I've heard so many people complaining about how this summer hasn't "felt like summer" because it's been so "cold." My response is, "YOU ARE ALL CRAZY!" I LOVE the weather we've been having. It's been mostly in the 70's and sometimes 80's. Nice running weather. Nice sleeping weather. Nice during the day. What more do you want? Well, it's been in the 90's with high humidity the past couple days...so there. I hope you are enjoying your sweaty butts off. Crazy I tell ya.

A couple weekends ago was the Burning River 100. It's a 100 mile endurance run in the area. I went up to the Boston store with some cookies for the 60+ mile rest stop. I made some very plain sour cream cookies with orange glaze. I couldn't even imagine what you'd want to eat at that point. I stuck around for about an hour or so catching up with some friends...enough to catch the first couple people run through. Jason and I were going to head down to the covered bridge aid station later in the night.

That night we went to the covered bride. It was a really neat rest stop. The bridge was all lit up. We met a woman and her parents while sitting around a fire. The woman's husband was running his 2nd 100 mile race. I guess he's completed a few Iron Man's as well as the one in Kona, Hawaii. How cool is that? That is a life goal of mine. I would love to be at the start line (and finish) of the Hawaii Iron Man someday. That is a later in life goal though. I need about that long to train for the swimming part. Anyway, I thought it was rather interesting to hear about her husbands accomplishments. One thing we were all discussing was how normal all these runners really are. They have families, jobs & friends like everyone else. The woman was telling me when she told her parents her husband was going to be running 100 miles...they immediately thought there was something wrong with him. Once they came out and watched, and got to know him, they realized it was just something he did. He wasn't abnormal. Most runners aren't any more abornmal then most other people. It's a novel thought to most people. What's normal anyway?

So, there we were stitting with our dog at the 80+ mile mark talking to these people watching the runners trek through. Jason apparently thought there'd be more action. I was like "what did you expect? The Indy 500 blazing through?" It was pretty funny. I have to say that I found each and every one of the runners to be an inspiriation. I am "only" a marathon runners so to run 100 miles seems amazing. It planted a seed of "maybe one day" in my head.

In other news, I have a wedding cake order this weekend to get done! Yikes! It's a real tiered wedding cake. It's for a good friend of mine. She hired another friend of ours to do the flowers since she owns a flower shop. I think that's pretty neat. It's quite a bit of work getting this done in my kitchen, but the prep work is coming along nicely. I hope it turns out as she and I envisioned...and I hope she loves it! I'll post some pics when the wedding is over. :)

On the running front, things are going well. I've been plugging away at 50 miles per week. Nice and relaxed. I mixed in a few relxed hard miles on one run to get the legs moving since I haven't raced. The pace for those were around 6:50's so that was nice. All in all, there are no complaints.

Weekly Rundown:

(Week of July 27th)

M- 40 minute Bike / Core
T- 8m
W- 8m
Th- 7m
F- 8.5 Fartlek (harder mile every 2....7:03, 6:55. 6:49)
Sat- 8m
Sun- 10.5m

Total: 50m

(Week of August 3)

M- 40 min bike / core
T- 8m
W- 8m
Th- 7m
F- 11m
Sat- 8m
Sun- 8m (HUMID!)

Total: 50m

No comments: