Tuesday, July 7, 2009

4th of July

What a week! We decided to shut down our business for the week, last week, since A) there was a holiday B) we are slow C) the employees can use up some vacation time since we are slow. All in all, it was nice....but I have to admit I would much rather be working overtime because of having too much work rather then taking time off due to a weak backlog. What can you do though?

So, last week I was home. Had lots to do and the time flew by. One thing that really encompassed my week was our annual 4th of July BBQ. We do it every year on the day Hudson has their fabulous fireworks display. It really is amazing for a small suburb display....and our house has a front row seat. Great times. This year seemed more hectic leading up to the party and more crazy the day of. We had enough food to feed a poor country and enough pop and beer to fill Lake Erie.

The display was on the 3rd...which meant the annual Hudson Firecracker 5K was the morning after. Argh! I was iffy about running it due to the fact that our party was the night before...and I wouldn't be close to competitive. I got over the competitive part and told myself I just gotta go out and do what I can....but I wasn't sure how I would do based on the crazy week and lack of sleep.

Once our party was over, Jason and I stayed up until 2:30am cleaning up. My really good friend stayed the night with her twins....whom I'm the God mommy of one. Everyone was willing to wake up and go to the race if I decided to run.

That morning, I woke up and was totally beat, but decided to get out and enjoy the 4th. Jackie was up with the girls...and I peeled my husband out of bed. We all headed out to the race and it was a blast as usual. It was so nice to have my husband, friend, and twins at the finish line.

(Post Race with the twins...their first 5k experience!!! This was the best shot we could get with everything going on.)



As far as the race goes, I was really happy with the effort. It's a hilly course too. The one thing I was disappointed with was the mile markers were not marked so I wasn't quite sure where we were at. I decided to latch onto a group of high school aged girls most of the race. I felt pretty good and went with the flow. I told myself if I felt good enough, I could work the last big hill and work it in the last quarter mile or so downhill. I did just that. I passed up most of the girls on the hills, passed one more coming in...but didn't quite catch the first girl. That's okay though. I came through 2nd place overall and with a time of 19:29. Not bad. I felt really good too considering everything. My lungs definitely had the burn from running fast, but other then that, nothing felt too weird. I'm so glad I decided to get my groggy butt to the start line.

The next morning I felt really great and did my 10 miles. Good sign. I plan on running a few races and see what I can do for a little while. I'm not committing to anything or starting any great training...but I'll tell you, nothing beats getting out on race morning and doing your best and being competitive within your means. It's a fantastic feeling that is hard to describe to those who don't do it...or get it.

This weekend I'll be volunteering at the Muddy Paws Race and am excited about. There will be people racers and doggie racers....how great is that?!? I had plans on volunteering at a bunch of races when I found out I was expecting.....and I plan on still keeping up with that thought even though things changed. It's just good to be out in the scene.

Weekly Rundown:

M- 7m
T- 8.5m
W- 6.5m
Th- 7m
F- 8m
Sat- 5m (5K Race)
Sun- 10m

Total: 52m

No comments: