Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Fridgid

It's March...and it's so cold. I don't have an ounce of fight in me when it comes to battling the cold. I did up until last Sunday. I'm done with it. Last week was a really good week of running. I ran everyday due to the fact it was so warm on Wednesday and Thursday. Friday, my alarm went off at 5:30am and I heard the wind whipping and the rain falling. I curled up in my happy, warm bed and figured it would be cooler, but calmer later in the day. I was thinking I'd opt for the colder, but less windy run in the evening. It's so easy to convince yourself to run later at that time of the morning.

Fast forward to Friday evening. The temps went from 55 to 35...and the wind didn't stop. No Sir. I dreaded the run, as last Sunday's brutal long run was still with me. I ran through a neighborhood I very much enjoying running through. The homes are so beautiful and the run seems to go quickly. Saturday I took the day off to attend the MAC Indoor Track Championships at Kent. Sunday I woke up and I guess I didn't realize how cold it was outside. I dressed well, but it was BRUTALLY cold and windy. The wind always seemed to be in my face. I seriously almost stopped to cry...or scream...or something of the sorts to vent my frustration. wear 2 pairs of gloves which for the 3rd time in 1 week didn't hold up to the wind. My fingers just couldn't take it, but I didn't really have a choice. I'm sitting here after 3 days of swollen fingers, barely typing. My right hand fingers are so, so swollen. It's insane. That is my sign to dump the cold. I give in. Mother Nature...you win.

I'm not really sure what to do about the swollen fingers. I have a couple doctors, that are friends, that have told me I may have Raynaud's. I have had a lot of trouble with the cold the past 3-4 years or so. It's not a big deal, but it's something I try and be careful about. I guess I'll just ride out the swollen fingers thing unless it get worse for some reason.

In other news, I had a GREAT weekend. One of the best in a long time. I met with a really good friend I haven't seen in ages and had lunch with her. We ran in college together. She was an awesome runner. I think her CC PR was under 16:20.....All-American. Pretty sweet. Anyway, we went to Kent for the MAC meet and had a blast. Nothing better then catching some good competition. Even better....Akron's Women won!! Go Zips! I was thrilled to see another good friend/ex teammate with her new baby. It was just an all around great day. Sunday, Jason and I met up with another one of my friends, whom I co-oped at Kimberly-Clark with and roomed with. He and his wife had a baby last year and we got to finally see her. It was a very nice Sunday morning late breakfast. Made up for the freezing long run. I thinks it's so crazy that they ended up loving so close to us. He went to Purdue, we met in Wisconsin, roomed in Seattle & Wisconsin...then I moved back home and he got married and got a job in Aurora. (Yes, I roomed with a boy....while I was dating Jason. This guy is a great friend and was probably one of the better roommates I have had. 2 people of the opposite sex CAN room together without drama in college!!)

Anyway, I'm keeping this week pretty uneventful. Last week I had a pretty good broken Tempo run and longer run. This week, probably looking at mileage in the mid 40's or maybe 50 again if it works out. My left foot have been bothering me in the beginning of my runs if I don't warm it up and stretch it out enough. It's like I have this tendon or something that slides around until it finds it's place to stay. The process of it finding its place it pretty painful. It doesn't stop me from running nor does it get worse...it's just annoying. I think my body is revolting against the weather at this point.

Weekly Rundown:

M - 7m
T - 2m w/u
4m Broken Tempo (6:35, 6:31 - 1 mile 7:52 - 6:35)
2 m c/d
W - 5m
Th - 8m
F - 8m
Sat - Off
Sun - 14m

Total: 50 (love round numbers!)

No comments: