Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Brighter Week

This week has started off much better then last. After a terrible Thursday-Saturday, everything started to feel better. I still have a little cough, but I'm up and running...and super happy about it. Sometimes, when you get forced to be down for a little bit, it makes you appreciate running more.

So I went to the Akron races on Saturday. It was kind of weird since I felt like I was dreaming the whole time. I was in a fuzzy state. Jason and I got there around 7:25am and watched the start of the Women's 8K. I was so excited to be able to watch this race. It made me not feel so bad about running. I'll tell you, the end of that race was so exciting.....watching Katie McGregor come up so close to Sara Slattery at the end of the race. I was cheering for Katie (not to take anything away from the winner though) as she was the hometown girl, which I remember running against in High School. It was a good time.

I stayed and watched the 1/2 Marathon finishers and ran into a few people I knew. I really wanted to drive over to the 22-24 mile mark and watch the marathoners and relay people, but we couldn't figure out how to get there...plus I was feeling really sick at that point. I was kind of bummed, but we headed home and I crashed for pretty much the rest of the day.

So Sunday morning I woke up and felt better and went for a 6 miler. Not too bad. Monday I had a fantastic 8 mile run. I felt like I was floating. It was a truly great run. Tuesday was a 9 miler which was okay...I'm just glad to be out. I'm planning on a 70 mile or so week with at least 1 workout and 1 long run. I just registered for the Columbus 1/2 Marathon on Oct. 19th. It should be fun. Too bad there are no hotels left open in downtown Columbus though. I'll keep up the training until then for certain.

I'm not really sure about a marathon this year. There is so much going on with Jason's thesis in the next 2 months, that for us to leave for a few days would be a pain in the butt. Plus, I'm not sure if I'm in the right mental frame to run a marathon. I've kind of felt this way all year. I've run 5 marathons in a row (1 per year) and perhaps need a little break from one. I'm really not sure though. I'm putting in good mileage and workouts so I feel like I should just find one not too far and just run it for the heck of it.....then do a more serious on in the spring? We'll see. Too bad the Towpath Marathon wasn't a few weeks later. If anyone knows of some driving distance marathons around...let me know. Hmmm.....now that I actually thought about it, that doesn't sounds half bad. No pressure....just fun...plus, I may surprise myself.

Anyway, congrats to all those who raced this weekend. It was really awesome to watch it all go down! Hope everyone enjoys their downtime!!

1 comment:

ramblings of a runnner said...

I know there is a group doing the richmond marathon...

http://www.richmondmarathon.com/

if you want a really low key marathon that is close to home - and probably as exciting as the towpath... there is the inland trail marathon in elyria

https://snow.he.net/~ncnrace/registration/raceITM/raceITM.shtml

that's all i know about though...