Monday, August 18, 2008

On the Fly

I usually have my whole "season" of running planned out, especially the races I'm going to run. Back in January, I had this lovely schedule all planned out and posted on my fridge. That ended up in the garbage as soon as my body was revolting on me most of the spring. I figured, "What the Heck!" I'll just go with the flow this year. It's been working well, but I'm so scattered on the races I'm going to run. I have to kick myself sometimes. I'm never sure if I'm going to run a particular race until about 3 days before. That's crazy to me. Look at me go....crazy me! Needless to say, I'm a typical type A, planner, high strung, "if you change the plans on me I freak" type of person. I just have to laugh when I think of my racing plans. My training is week by week as well. I keep telling myself, next week will be the down week....and it doesn't really ever happen. It's all just too much fun at the moment.

So anyway, I decided (after much flip flop between this, Crim, & the Perfect 10) to run the Canalway Classic 5K in Navarre on Sat. It was a great morning and a great course. Man, it's a small town though. It was a point to point course. I decided to run to the start line as a warm up. Jason brought his bike along and kept me company. Yippie!! I think he's trying to be nice on the running front for various reasons.
So, the registration went quickly, and I was off. I had a paper map so I wouldn't get lost. All of a sudden my sense of direction went funky on me. I think I got nervous knowing I would get to the start line about 5 minutes before the race (running 8 minute miles). This wasn't the best planning on my part...but o well.

I started asking Jason to look at the map and which way to go. Now, my husband has the WORST sense of direction EVER (God love him). You tell him "turn right" he'll go left. If you send him out and back....it's just out and around. I don't know what I was thinking. Well, the heavens opened up and one of the guys leading the race on the bike was there and I asked him which way to go. He lead me along and looked so surprised I was running the course for the warm up. I got a lot odd looks from the water crews like I was crazy. I mean...it wasn't THAT long!

So we got to the start and not 4 minutes later the race started. Ummm....I better allow more time next time if I plan on doing a longer warm up. I can't say I wasn't warmed up and ready to go through.

Race went off and it was a fast start. There was a lot of down hill and a small up hill leading onto the towpath. First mile was 5:43...yikes! I haven't ran a mile that fast in a long time. I felt great though and kept it rolling. I settled in with a group of guys and went through 2 miles in 11:52. I didn't look at my watch at the 2nd mile because I didn't want go mental. I think I got mental anyway because I kept thinking I was going to die or something. I told myself to chill a little and pick it up when I got off the towpath. I did just that. There was a small but steep hill right before mile 3....then I started to kick it in. I finished in 18:46....1st place. I was happy, but at the same time I think I setteled in too much and had more to give in this race. That is something I need to work on. Perhaps as I start incorporating tempo runs those will give me the mental strength and stamina I need.

So the definite plan for next weekend is the Crim 10 Miles in Flint, MI. I just registered a couple days ago and made hotel reservations. I'm excited about it. I'm up for a big race. It will be my first long race in a long time, but it's a real fitness test at the longer distance. Hopefully, it will go well. I tweeked my left foot tendon on my long run yesterday and don't walk well right now, but I ran without too much trouble this morning...so I'm not terribly worried. I've kind of been lazy about doing my foot strength stuff so...that's what you get when you run on the uneven trails. Gotta get the wobble board back out. It's always something isn't it? :)

2 comments:

Quinto Sol said...

Yet another win... N.I.C.E.

ramblings of a runnner said...

nice job!! can't wait to hear how the next race goes -- good luck!!