Wednesday, August 6, 2008

High Stress Area

I have a good life. I really do. I'm happy and content with how everything has, and currently is, panning out. I'm a big believer if something isn't broke, don't fix it.
We'll, my wonderful husband has just thrown me a curve. He is finishing up his Ph.D as an Engineer this winter and had gotten a few offers for jobs. He intends to stay in academia and pretty much needs to do a Post Doc assignment. The offer he is thrilled to have received is located at Texas A&M in College Station, TX. Arhhhhhhhhhh.

I've never had a problem with the thought of moving in my earlier life. I bounced around to Wisconsin and Seattle during college for work assignments with no problems. I even thought we would move right out of college. It worked out we stayed. Our lives were slowly being build into what they are today. We have a home I am in love with, a good job at the family business, and all our family and friends nearby. I get to take my dog to work, stop by mom & dad's, help out the sister in law with the new baby, take dinner to my best friend who is having twins, play with nieces and nephews, have a really cool annual 4th of July Party....with all this, I also have all the freedom in the world with my job. I also run a couple small businesses on the side....for fun. There are countless wonderful parks nearby, 3 tracks within a 1 mile radius, and lots of runner friends. So, this is everything that makes me happy....other then my husband (obviously).

This Post Doc is for 2 years. We'd have to sell our home and everything and lug everything to Texas for 2 years without knowing where we are going next. I won't have a job, and post docs don't pay all that well. Talk about a downgrade in life....not to mention the confusion with our cat & dog. Plus it's hot as hell there.

I'm kind of avoiding the conversations with my husband. I get kind of crappy when he talks about it. I know that's bad...but let me have my moment, okay? It's not easy for him either. His dad is sick and he has a huge family and friends as well. I do have to say though, this is the next natural progression in his life. My life is set pretty much. I do understand that in the long term this can be a very good thing....especially for his goals. I would hate to see him 10-20-30 years from now mad for not making the best of himself. I'm not a selfish person, I try not to be, this just stresses me out...a lot. I hope it all works out. I hope it works out so we are all happy.

So on the running front....I've been doing pretty well. Running is my sanity keeper at the moment. Last week I did a really hot workout on the track which consisted of 6x800, 400 rec. All were 2:51-2:55...not bad for the muggy conditions. I then ran a race on Sunday which was okay. I won with an 18:55 but I just felt okay. I slept very little on Wed & Thurs due to a groomsmen cake I was working on and a late night Friday at a wedding. Saturday I did a nice run at the Towpath and saw some of the runners in the BR 100 race which was inspiring. Sunday I was just tired...but I was happy I toughed it out and didn't mentally give in. I think the course was a bit slow.....but that's all good. I broke the course record by like 40 seconds which is always a nice bonus. It was a good time all around.

This week is a little rough. Mondays easy 7 mile run went fine. Nothing special. I did my morning 4 mile easy run in preparation for a 400 rep workout yesterday...but around lunchtime my throat was starting to bother me...then I got achy. I decided with that and the humid conditions, it spelled trouble. I went home, took a nap, then went for a nice bike ride with my husband. Today, my throat still is bothersome and I feel like poo. I think I am just a little run down....maybe my body is trying to fight something off. I'll play it by ear.

I can't wait for tomorrow to be over. We are having our annual ISO Audit at work....and I do ALL the ISO stuff. Our scheduled auditor, whom I've worked with the past 2 years, had a medical emergency, so we get a new guy. That is another super stressor. I worked my butt off getting all this stuff in order...and I hope he's not a jerk. These auditors can make life very difficult if they want to. It's me, him and the manual...all day long. Him picking at every little thing we do, how we document, and grilling me on our procedures. Sounds fun huh?

So enough of my rambling, but it makes me feel better to vent out a little. I'm not one to complain too much (at least I try not to)...but sometimes we need a little vent.

2 comments:

Quinto Sol said...

Congratulations on the win and the course record... I hope everything turn out a-okay on the 'other' front.

ramblings of a runnner said...

hang in there. Things have a way of working themselves out for the best - and even though i am one of the best worries out there - i've found that it it never helps the solution - it just makes my hair fall out! Hey - i must have just missed you on the towpath on saturday!