Monday, July 21, 2008

Heat, Humidity & a PR

So I broke down and ran the Johnnycake Jog 5 Mile Race in Painesville. This was the first race I ran when I was 14 years old. I ran a 39:02 (I think) and my mom ran 1 second faster then me that year. I've ran it more then any other road race. It's a big deal on the far east side of town. I also happen to hate the race due to the fact that I have NEVER raced well there. It's like a wicked step sister slapping me....and I keep coming back again and again.
So I had a couple people ask me if I was running it. I was thinking about it...kind of...but without too much persuasion, I decided to run it again. The thing I REALLY love about the race is I get to see all kinds of runner friends I only see once in a while. Plus the competition is really good there. I do have to give props to the organization as well. It's a great event.
So to make a long story short, me, Jason, and the dog headed to Painesville for the event. It was sooo blasted humid. The temp was lik 78 with some ungodly humiditiy. I wanted to run sub 31 as my PR was 31:54 (which isn't a strong PR in this distance for me as I don't really race the 5M/10K distnace often). I toed the line after a nice warm up with a few friends and also ran into an old male teamate from college....awesome! He wanted to run sub 30.....I wasn't going to set the bar that high just yet for myself.
Off the race went.....Mile 1 6:08. I felt decent. It was just humid. The 2nd mile was hilly compared to the rest of the pancake flat course and it was 6:31. Bummer. I thought I was running faster, especially since I was passing tons of people. 3rd mile was some downhill 6:10. I remember thinking sub 31 was probably not going to happen as I had a long 2 miles left and it was HOT and I was breathing in what felt like water. Okay...so mile 4 took FOREVER to come and it was a 6:05. Yikes...I didn't think I was running that good of a pace. I got into a good, comfortable (for a race) groove and went with it. I remember thinking the last half mile that I wanted to sit on the side of the road, kick my feet up, and have a cold, minty, mohito. This was a serious thought at this point...no joke. So anyway, I was told I was the 4th woman overall. I saw a woman in front of me and easily passed her. I could hear her labored breathing....not that mine probably sounded all that great. I passed plenty more people and saw the finish line. I saw 30:40 and kick it up a gear. I crossed the finish line in 30:53....3rd place overall. I was HAPPY! I looked at my watch and saw I ran a 5:57 last mile. That made me feel really good. I'm pretty excited about how the race panned out as it was my first good race at the "Jog"...and it was a big PR. More importantly, I felt really good...even considereing the hot & humid racing conditions.
I'm so glad I did this race. I needed something like this to boost me and make me feel like my training is working in some way. The last few workouts were pretty tough and I've been ramping up my mileage.
After the race, I did a nice cooldown with quite a variety of people...including my puppy dog. A good portion was with Salty.....who continues to inspire me with all the running she is doing while pregnant. It makes me be not so afraid to get pregnant. I'm such a chicken.
So I'm sitting here at work as our offices are being renovated, the smell of paint fumes overcoming me and reading the New Herald. It's really nice how they cover the race with all the pictures...but there is something so not glamourous about having a head shot taken of you right after a hot 5 Mile race. I swear, if people I haven't seen in a while, and see this picture... they are gonig to think "What the hell happend to her?!?" (Which bring me to the topic of how different runners look as normal, everyday people....that's another blog.)
O well...at least I ran a PR :)

1 comment:

Quinto Sol said...

Congrats on the PR... and in such warm conditions; double kudos!