Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Holy Hill

Yesterday I had my first workout with a group of people in a really long time. I honestly think it's been years. My schedule kind of stinks as I'm pressed for time all the time. Yes, I'm a Type A who tries to cram a weeks worth of things into 1 day. So anyway, it makes it hard to run with groups.

At the Flag Day Race, I came across a running friend who invited me to run with their group for a speed workout at Pen Glen on Tuesday. It was perfect because I usually head out that way on Tuesdays since my parents live there. My mom runs with the dog, I get my workout in....good times.

I met up with the group yesterday and it was 3 guys a 1 other girl. These people are seriously good. The girl is a consistent sub 17:00 5K runner...and the guys good too. I was the slower one in the group...but that's cool. I like having something to work for.

We did a 3 mile warm up, then the guys marked off 400 meters from the bottom of a huge hill, to the top with about 100 meters of flat at the end. The whole workout was to be 8x400 uphill with 400 meters down hill rec. The deal was to start out slower and pick up the pace...going almost all out the last 100. Heh. After the first one, it was more like survive through this workout. We all laughed. I wasn't actually too far behind. The guy in from of me was only a couple seconds ahead by the end, while the first people were about 10. Not bad. Time for me ranged from 1:38-1:41 with a 1:33 first one and 1:44 7th one. It went pretty fast thought it was really tough. The cool down was 2 miles and it was so nice to chat with the other girl....JK. My legs were Jello....but I was so happy with the day (other then the mean lady with the dog).

So, all in all, it was a great workout with a great group of runners. It's interesting to note how different it is to run with people who are more serious and competitive, rather then running just for fun. I guess we all do it for fun, but some are more competitive then others. It was nice. It kind of put me back into focus. It's like, everyone shows up and we are there to get a job done. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to workout with this group on Tuesdays more.
I think I'll really make an effort to take people up on offers to run with them. It's not that I don't want to, I just get so busy and find odd times to squeeze my runs in. I think it would be worth the extra effort though.

No comments: