Friday, June 27, 2008

Good Week

This week was a relatively good week for me. I don't toss that phrase around too lightly.....especially in the running department.
I decided after 3 weeks of building up some mileage, I needed a week of doing a little less to allow my body to adapt. It works for me. I thought about waiting until next week to do that since I'll be racing the annual 4th of July race but my body was telling me otherwise.
I was going to run a night race last Friday, but I had a crazy week that was way to over scheduled, and was just too tired. I'm glad I didn't since I got in a nice 8 miler Friday. Toward the end of the run, a girl pulled up next to me in a Jeep, and I though they were going to yell at me for something...but it was one of the girls I Coached. It was so great to see her! Nice surprise mid run. This led into a really good Saturday workout at the Towpath. It was a workout I HATED in College, but I thought I was ready to give it a go again. It was a 6 mile Dynamic run consisting of around 6:00 pace for the hard efforts and 7:00 for the medium efforts. This workout is so hard because it's not like you really get a recovery. 7:00 is a good clip after a 6:00 mile. I'm happy to report the workout went well. I really wanted to go 6:05 or sub 6:00 (if I was feeling it) on the last mile, but a guy on a bike struck up a conversation with me...the whole last mile. It was a nice conversation, with a really nice guy...but O MY GOSH...I was trying to run a sub 6:00. He couldn't have possibly thought this was a normal, easy run for me! Last mile ended up 6:15. O well. Next time.
Long run on Sunday...then I pooped out Monday and biked. I was beat up. Easy run Tuesday morning then a good workout on Wednesday. Mile reps on the trail. 6:20, 6:12, 6:08, 6:04, 6:05. Needless to say, I was really happy with this workout. As an added bonus, I felt awesome I never felt terribly strained. I hope this translates into faster race times....I really hope!!
Funny thing about that workout was there was a couple, in their 40's or 50's making out the whole time on the trail. Loop after loop after loop, they were there. They were my midpoint marker :) It was slightly annoying though since they were pretty much on the trail and I ran about 5 inches from them around a corner.
The last couple days were an easy 7 and 9 miler which I did this morning. I'll be really busy baking an order for a Bridal Shower so I wanted to get all my running done for the day today. Tomorrow is my hubby's birthday!!! I have to bake him a cake too while I'm at it.
I think I'll take the day off tomorrow and round out the week with a 12 miler.
Hopefully, I can kick it up a notch again the next few weeks and feel good.

No comments: