Monday, March 3, 2008

The Magic Bullet, GT Xpress, & Politics

When I'm hurt, I pretty much get real with myself and know when to stop running and start cross training. As hard as it may be, I have matured and developed the self control to do this....even though I have to remind myself not to fall to pieces during the process.
My calve, heel, achilles area have been hurting for the past couple weeks, so I was forced to get in on the good old cross training equipment. The thing that cracks me up, it what's on TV....and how much of it I actually listen to. I have a tiny little TV in my basement, along with a REALLY old treadmill, and a simple stationary bike. I have some weights scattered around too. For an added accent, I have a lovely washing machine and dryer near the furnace and water tank. Great scenery.
Anyway, there are so many infomercials on TV, especially Saturday and Sunday morning...along with enough Politics to made you go numb. I only get 4 or 5 channels on my TV so I don't have many options. The funny thing is, I actually get really into whatever is on the TV. I noticed that lately. I got so into Fox's (yes FOX TV....ewww...no options here, remember?)) Chris Wallace politics on Sunday morning. I was spewing all the info on Hillary, Obama, McCain, and anything else to my hubby at breakfast. I was like the freakin AM news or something. I'm not normally a politics junkie. I'm the one who usually changes the channel. It almost feels kind of good to be in "the know" even it's all pretty goofy.
Also, the amount and type of product being sold on TV is hilarious to me. They still have the good old Magic Bullet on TV and the GT Xpress. I'm actually getting sold on that little thing. I think it has something to do with the fact that I sit on my bike for what seems like hours and watch the little lady make omelets, cinnamon rolls, and cake in 7 minutes....O my gosh, YES 7 MINUTES...WOW. If I act now, I get one payment cut from the price and get an extra one for free. Hmmm....maybe I'll get a free set of knives too. Who knows. This cross training thing can get expensive if it last a while....especially if I can tune into QVC or something. Maybe I should switch to my I Pod. Maybe I should get unhurt.
Actually, I did 8 miles straight at pretty much normal pace on the treadmill yesterday which was awesome. My foot had a small amount of ache and it didn't get worse which is a definite positive. My spirits were much better after my run yesterday. I was starting to get pretty down on everything after looking at my running log and seeing the history of the last 4 weeks. I know better then to do that, but I did anyway. I was thinking of taking a week or two off and starting over if things keep popping up to interrupt my running. Hopefully, I'm in the clear now and I can be off on my way of trying to rebuild again.
Maybe I can buy that cool little Pilate's Machine I saw on Saturday morning for only 4 payments if $49.95 to help me with that. Maybe not.

1 comment:

GP said...

I'd love to have that part of my brain that tells me to stop when I'm injured (or close to it)!

While I keep up with cross-training all year, I think all of my training would benefit if I could just get it through my head that runner faster, harder, longer will not make a torn tendon or stress fracture go away.

Keep up your spirits and, umm, watch your TV spending ;-)